BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What do you think about love? Important and Irrational or Not-so-important and rational?

I am most definitely not the right person to talk about love in the truest sense of it, the kinds they talk about in books -  considering I've always been in 'walk-in-walk-out' relationships (romantically) and I value my platonic relationships wee bit too much to be able to write about them.

 

But given the fact that most of the world lives in a practical world of love where one's choice of lover is based on a complex matrix of compatibility, or in more crude terms - convenience. Career and family compatibility, value-system compatibility, status compatibility, tolerance-compatibility, sense of settlement compatibility and a whole bunch of such factors. I very well understand (and respect the fact)  that these factors vary in importance for different people but the crux remains the same - it  is the long term compatibility based on ones limits and limitations.

 

I am a staunch believer of this matrix. Only because I have one life and I want to spend it living completely rather than loving mindlessly. As long as I can peacefully co-exist with certain constants like respect and space, I think the love et al falls into place. I've never heard of real Romeo-Juliet /Laila-Majnu/Heer-Ranjha couples. Honestly,  the real-life couples with most dramatic and awww(e)-inspiring stories are based on the (not-so-simple) compatibility/comfort level matrix! So why bother much?

 

Anyway why did I go explaining this? Because each time I read a book that describes love in a very heroic way, it leaves me bewildered. When passages talk about love with such passion, I am left wondering what it must be like to be in such love. (Disclaimer: I don't want to be in such destructive love where lovers can kill or die or go mad or disown or forget-it-all. I am happy feeling jitters and butterflies every now and then choosing to walk in if it is nice and walk out if it was too much hassle for the 2 of us!)

 

I've always written down those passages (among other beautiful passages) from books into my little red-colored spiral note-book --- to use it as a text for reference. I've been an utter failure in understanding/imbibing those feelings but I have taken the pain to type them out and put them up in my new blog, here. 


That is because they sound amazing and make for some literary delight. Some of these stories are brave, some docile, some plain-romantic, some meaningless - but they are just beautiful pieces of text. In fact some of them are close to real feelings too! (I am not a die-hard romantic but girl-enough to feel special things!)

 

If any of you can relate to the passages out there, do leave a comment! Hope you enjoy reading them as much as I did!

 

(Clearly, my own answer to the question in the title is - important and rational)

 

5 comments:

Utopia said...

maybe it was "a lot like love". or whatever it seems to be like. i know the next time i am gonna fall into it headlong again. thats how bad i am. tis like we can't live without it or live it. yes it bewilders us cos its so elusive. hope someday it is within reach. that day we can stop writing about it the way we do either in long posts or in the form of hints or insinuations hahaha!

DPhatsez said...

"If music be the food of love..play on"

AS for your question..Tch! Who cares? :D
Being an ex-hippie, i used to rock out to Led Zep's 'Whole Lotta Love'.
The love described in that song is way more reliable than women :)

Jinu Peyeti said...

@utopia - :)

@DPhat - i like the honesty with which u r commenting on a woman's blog abt how women love. Kudos! :)

and i love the answer 'who cares'! haha.

Utopia make a note :D

Mayuleee said...

Alrite first... I am not buying a front-door fully automatic washing machine with x,y,z modifications idea. So, I don't quite understand the matrix of family, career, status etc etc. I mean compatibility on mental level is understandable but if you love somebody these concerns cannot overpower your choice of being with somebody.
Which also doesn't mean that you fall for (i seriously don't understand why would you fall though)somebody... like a mafia-don, wasted poet..
I guess you try to find that somebody who matches ur energy, ur passion for life.

If you ask me what is love?? I don't know. But I guess I understand it a little, thanks to this two people I got to know in life. The boy was a carefree soul, lived for the day, in all his 60s ways. She was a shy girl of the cities who grew up in all traditional marathi ways. They had nothing in common. But somewhere along the way.. they found their way. They lived, fought, brought me and my brother into living. That girl left us somewhere on the way. But its sure.. for her love that keeps that old boy and his too lil kids going all the way.. :)

Jinu Peyeti said...

@Mayuri - do u know this is why u've been my best friend for so many years? wat ppl say as me being 'balanced' is attributed sooo much to u becuz u always tell me the 'other thing' which no one else does. i love u. mwah.