BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rights and Duties go hand in hand.

This is what most of us did over the last few months/years - 

We blogged and bitched about blasts in Jaipur, Bangalore Gujarat, the economic melt down, about Mumbai attacks, and about our ever favorite topics - Shiv Sena, Ram Sene and communism. With or without blogs, we still bitched a lot about Fodder scam, Tehelka, Bofors, Naxals, LTTE, Godhra, Babri Masjid, Ayodhya, Flight hijacks, safety slip ups etc etc. 

We shouted out to the world about how open minded and awesome our generation is. 

We felt proud that we are aware citizens who speak our mind out and do not mind protesting, creating focus groups etc. We bitched non stop with our pride intact and concluded event after event that we need a better leader. 

Until someone someday shook us and said - 

"Bob, the farmers and the slum dwellers go and vote. Not you. So bastard/bitch just shut the f*** up and live with it. And if you can't, go and cast your damn vote." (If no one ever said this to you - then consider me telling this to you on behalf of every single awakened Indian citizen.) 

To cut the long story short - if you are a blogger or even remotely tech savvy and happen to come across this - I will urge you to get your voter ID card and cast your vote. If you thought the entire process is painfully long, there is www.jaagore.com which not only makes the process just 5 mins long, but also helps you get rid of a few voting myths. 

I have a voter ID card and I voted for the state elections last year. Elections are around the corner again and I will vote again. And I will vote each time there is an election in my country - so that I can write about issues that matter to me and not feel guilty. I don't want to carry the burden of being a poor citizen. It is a big weight to carry. I am a proud daughter, sister, friend and a proud individual. I want to be a proud citizen too. 

I also know that casting your vote is just step-1. Step 2 probably is trying to clean the nation by getting our hands into the muck - Yes, to contest elections. It might take us about 3 decades to cleanse and purify this mess. But at least we will be a part of the change, a catalyst and will give a happy nation to our future generations.

If you are reading this post, I will love it if you leave your comment and tell me if you
a. have a voters ID card (if not, you know that www.jaagore.com is the place to go.)
b. will cast your vote this year. If not, then why. 

I understand very well that it is my most fundamental right and my most important duty - to vote. I will fight until my last breath for the right to vote and will perform my duty as reliogiously as I brush my teeth. 

P.S - A special note for my non-Indian readers - This post stands true for you too, as long as you come from a democratic country where you have the right to vote. After all, if all the nations of the world have good leaders, we can all peacefully co-exist. 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Neat post. Yeh, i'm eagerly looking forward to see how many of those people who went 'blah blah' during blasts, scams will now act.

I'm definitely voting. Registered myself at the local Indian embassy here.

Got to wait and see the election manifestos this time.

Indian Home Maker said...

Well written.
I got some friends who were not net savvy to register for voting through Jago Re campaign (blogged about it too), they have received some forms from them, but they are not yet registered, the process is tedious and two of them say they were told they are too late for these elections but still are keen to atleast get registered.
We need to start thinking of voting as a Right not as a Duty.

Anonymous said...

Yes. I too vote but I think there is something like a right not to vote when filthy fellows get the tickets.
(Why do you need "word verification" for comments. Does it help in any way. As a matter of fact it is an irritant.

Hashir said...

@Jinu,
Can't vote - although did get my Voters ID mad (okay okay - my dad got it done for me). Reason being am out of state :(