BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Best friends are forever


You and me have taken joy in people's surprise by saying we've known each other for 20 years. Yes, 20 years is a bloody long time. In these 20 years, we've lived next door through all of childhood, tolerated each other  through weird stages of life like teenage and smoothly transitioned into adulthood as best friends. (Custom made best friends, as you like to put it.)

 

You called my mom once to ask her how to make Rasna and you've called me up a zillion times to ask gazillion questions - all while being next door neighbors, just a shout away. We had different best friends and different lives, unlike in movies. But you were always the constant of my life. I always took your presence for granted until one fine day when you had disappeared. And when you came back after that short act of disappearance, I just knew you are not the kinda friend one should let go of. 

 

I shout at you for silly reasons, knowing at the back of my mind that you aren't gonna go away. We fight and patch up on status messages, which I think is so cool. It saves us the embarrassment of confrontation. Hehehe. You shout on public forums about how my 'single' status surprises/irritates you. And then you cannot tolerate the thought of me dating someone. ( I can already hear what you will tell me on reading this!) You can listen to me ranting about things/people for hours and days. Just while I am convinced you are concerned, you will crack the silliest joke and make me feel like an idiot. You give me pep talk that can never go wrong.

 

And we told the entire world that we've promised to stay in the same time zone. You are on the verge of breaking that promise in the next few days. I covered up for your mistakes when we were kids. Looks like I have to do the same again, by traveling all the way and staying there till the time you are there. I never realized how far is very far, until the day you got your visa. You've said to me a dozen times already that you will be there, as always, but trust me other side of the world is a scary thing.

 

I know I have to remind you a million times to read this post and I also know you won't leave a comment because blogs are not your thing. But Sunny Boy, know that you've been my sunshine on all rainy days and my pillar when bad relationships and bad career moves were tearing me apart. You are the one person who hasn't made me feel insecure about what we are to each other, despite your steady relationships with half of the female population in town.

 

This post is a toast to us and our special bond. Much as I cringe at the thought of not seeing you for the next few years, I feel happy that you are chasing your dream in a way that leaves me beaming with pride. I know you will not find someone like me ever, but promise me that you won't substitute me with the next best thing. (The fact that you are going to the same town where your other best friend is, already makes me insecure!) Remember that I will still twist your arm when you goof up and will bore you to death over chat. :)

 

Best of luck.


 

6 comments:

Ritvik said...

Jinu,
SURPRIIIIIISE!!! You didn't have to remind me even once to read this and I also left a comment... :)
Rightly said, blogs are not my thing - and you know I wouldn't be able to reciprocate this with a post with the same depth and expressiveness. But yeah, I can tell you for the 13th time (after that dozen) - I will be there, as always, no matter what! I'm overwhelmed to see a whole post dedicated to me and 'thanks', would be an under-statement to tell you how I feel. For me, this is not just a post but two decades of our special bond put into words. True, Best friends are forever. Cheers!


To readers, who might get misled and judge me wrong – I did not have any steady (or even unsteady for that matter) relationships, with even one hundredth of the female/male population in any town “till now”. There are some more references in the post, which are disputable... :)

Corinne Rodrigues said...

What a heartwarming post, Jinu. I'm happy for both of you and also understand the pain of parting....
Wishing Ritvik every good thing on the 'other side of the world'!
Corinne

PS: What's keeping you busy these days now that your exams are over?

Utopia said...

awwwwwwwwww! thats too cute jinu!

DPhatsez said...

Shessh! So girly yet so nice!

Man I'm getting soft with age :)

And yo! Glad yo back!

Unknown said...

Jinooo! where've u been? online dikhti hi nahi!

& Best luck to ur best fraand!!

**and do you hate us?? why do you have to have the word verification thingy??**

Unknown said...

Interesting post and an even interesting comments ;)

Well here's to your friendship.

Cheers.