BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

...yet again about elections - you think I'm diseased?

Ok please excuse me, I am still obsessing over the elections. Kindly bear with me -

 

I was watching an early morning show on NDTV which is called 'Youth for change.' The journo went to Presidency college, Kolkata and was talking to the students. They are the typical intellectual student community  but have a long way to go. When asked about how would they choose their leader, they spoke of Recession and Terrorism - definitely 2 big issues at the moment but not the only criteria for choosing your Government for the next term. I don't blame them poor kids. When I was their age, I am sure even I spoke of the topics that had max media coverage.

 

What I am trying to say is - it is important for media houses to educate these collegians into the nitty gritties of policy issues. There is a whole game of geo-politics, (which I think should be an important factor while choosing leaders ) issues of trade agreements and the stand of different parties on these issues and very importantly - the issue of the poor of the country - food, clothing, shelter. Transparency, governance, sustainability etc are some other important aspects. And I say these should be looked into while peaking at agendas and manifestos because a political parties stand on these important issues determines the nation's growth. It is a cumbersome process and there is nothing like some solid tv show/road show talking about these things and creating mass appeal.

 

I honestly think we have to move beyond talking about the most talked stuff. 

1 comments:

Indian Home Maker said...

I fear we have so little to choose from we are lucky if we just manage to vote out criminals, communal divides, hate and intolerance!