BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Growing up is a process. Not an event.

Ok so it seems I am growing up... or is old the word? Ok no, I am growing up. 


I can feel the change in me. I no more want to wear my t-shirts with those skulls drawn on them and stupid wise-cracks. Those denims cut into half and those crazy cargo pants are all gone now. I have moved to wearing simpler tees, I am no more wearing shorts and parading around the town. I wear nice striped and buttoned shirts to work. I enjoy wearing those pretty kurtas and nice churidars. Make me feel like a girl. I like it I think. :) 

I do not melt as rapidly anymore. I know late night phone calls don't always mean something. I do not approve of things I cannot live with. For ex. Someone is a bad listener but otherwise sweet? To hell with you - good listener is top 3 in my list of criteria. And I am addressing my needs and not compromising anymore. 

I am more aware of the fact that my parents are growing old. Daddy is daddy and not Rambo. They need to and want to be closer to their siblings. I won't fuss around about not being in the North. Let them be where they find peace. I am also in terms with the compromises that I will have to make as I settle down. Settling down itself will be a compromise for a compulsive nomad like me. But I will. For the love of parents. They will eventually need to be taken care of. 

I am not anti-discipline anymore. On second thoughts, I never was. But I am not fussy about restrictions and deadlines any more. Some age old rules like don't be out all alone until too late in the night and don't spend forever over the fone suddenly seem to be making sense. Or maybe because I know that these are probably my last 2 weeks with parents for a really really long time. So I am ready to live with all this. 

I still like my rock music and I still wear my iPod around my neck 24/7. I still haven't gotten rid of my fettish for crazy bags and footwear. But I think it's fine. I still miss my friends like crazy. (which should now reduce. Sooner the better.)

I am looking forward to making my coffee myself and toasting my bread myself. I am looking forward to not getting idlis and aloo-paratha on demand. I am looking forward to not going to office. I know it can be really tough living with the person with whom I am going to be with for the next few months. But it's fine. She loves me. So what if she is a little irrational, she means no harm afterall. 

I know none of these things seem like great signs of 'growing up' to most of you. I am someone who was always very practical, matter-of-factly and almost always did 'the right thing'. But the wild-child used to come out with vengeance every now and then - with those crazy ass, unimaginable things I would do. That wild-child is now settling down. I am doing the right things not because they are supposedly right but because now no other way seems to exist. 

Though I really wish, hope, pray I won't smile any lesser with the wild-child dying down. 


5 comments:

Mayuleee said...

hmmm.. ya maybe this external factors - like clothes, music change but ur wild streak will always stay the same. WHAT DO U MEAN by settling down? Taking responsibility would not mean that you lose that 'mad' you

Utopia said...

na the i know what u mean but the wild child lives on believe me heheh! cos we are incorrigible thats all. :-)

aqua gurl said...

change is the law of life eh:P:P

change is a good thing, most of the times

Unknown said...

I've learnt that no matter how much one grows up, the wild child is just a depth inside away and doesn't take too long to awaken.

This post of yours compels me to blog of a certain experience.

Corinne Rodrigues said...

Hi Jinu - how's it going? Am glad the 'wild-child' is around ;)
Am blogrolling you.

Corinne