BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Myu wrote about finishing 2 years away from family, on her own. This reminded me I was gonna write about finishing 6 months of coming back to family after 8 years of a nomadic life!! Myu is right when she says we learn so much when we are on our own. We are well past learning from friends, teachers, parents. We make our mistakes and we learn how to stand up on our own. 


When I look back at my 8 years, all I can think of is the beautiful people my life has given me. Some are still with me and by me whereas some are not. But every single person I met in those 8 years has added immense value to my life with many bittersweet experiences. I can't imagine the me I am today, without even one of those many people I met. Even if their contribution in my life was a night at a local club, it was still something to cherish. 

All that I am today is a vivid fragment of all those people. They have helped me shape my thoughts, helped me define a lot of woolly terms like ego, love, respect, success, failure, fotgiveness, thrill, adventure, limits, limitations. The list can go on. 

I learnt a very crucial concept of cultural tolerance in those years. Today I do not identify myself as a South Indian or a North-indian, a Hindi or a Telugu. But I think of myself as a human being. I think of myself as an integral part of this world. Someone whose existence has a purpose. 

I think of myself as a giver and a receiver. I know that I have to live for myself as much as I have to live for my loved ones and for the world at large. I feel happy about the fact that I am neither self-obsessed nor am I wary of my needs. I accept my rights and realize my duties. 

But the biggest thing they've taught me is that one should not nurture the quality of 'hatred.' Today I take pride in saying that I may disapprove of what people say or do, but I do not disapprove of people themselves or do not hate anybody. I am at peace with every single thought in my mind - at least most of the time, if not always. And sure as hell, it is one of those many people who help me find that peace. 

I am an independent woman* who takes care of her own wants and tantrums while being a rather decent daughter, sister, friend and all the other roles I willingly play. I know how to have crazy fun and I know when to draw my lines. I know when to bend and I know when I should stop so as to not stoop too low. I know how to live and let live. I know when to be by people and I know when to leave them alone. 

After all this, I am very aware that this a tip of the ice berg and that there's a lot more to come, to learn and to be. I am very sure I will continue being a good daughter, sister, friend etc etc and will eventually be a good life-partner, mother and a successful professional while making sure the little crazy girl in me who loves to jump walls, continues smiling. 

This is a thank-you note for all the people I have known until this day of my life and for making me the proud yet humble human being that I am. Love ya'll. :) 

* I struck off the word 'girl' and replaced it with 'woman' - and I feel good about it. 

P.S: I hope I am not coming across as someone who thinks of herself as 'Perfect.' I know I am far from perfect but I am at peace with it. I am not anxious about my imperfections and I know I will try to be a better person every passing day!

3 comments:

Mayuleee said...

U know wat just struck me... That we are probably at the pinnacle of that search for the best of ourselves... I mean this will all be so different 10-15 years later. we may not be that receptive... to amass what the world has got to offer.So, we got to do our best!!!

And, you made me realise one thing.. that rights never come without duties .. :)
Ciao, lets see ourselves 10 years hence :)

Jinu Peyeti said...

I agree. Time makes us and our thoughts rigid. But I have also seen a whole bunch of people who have a very open mind even after they've crossed their 60s!

I think that comes by staying in touch with ourselves and reminding ourselves time and again that what was right yesterday might not be so, owing to circumstances or anything else. As long as we remember that only change is permanent we will be receptive.

And yes, you and me will surely see each other 10 years down and will hopefully be talking about our blogging days on a rainy day with coffee to keep us company :)

Happy growing up Mayu. Hope we have just got started! Mwah.

Utopia said...

could relate to every single thought you conveyed through your words. :-)