BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, November 28, 2008

And I finally voted...

I finally feel like an Indian. I exercised my most important right as an Indian citizen - the right to vote. While I patiently stood in the queue, I wondered if it is appropriate to call it a 'right'. Should it not be a duty - rather a 'mandatory' duty instead?


I casted my first ever vote on the day when India faced the worst ever terror attacks. Mumbai was split wide open with major breach in security by the Intelligetsia and by all other security agencies. Huge amounts of explosives and 20-something terrorists sneaked into - in fact swam into my country - so easily! My faith in the entire system shook with this incident and I wondered if my vote would make a difference. The answer was frustrating to start with, but the long hour at the queue in the polling booth gave me a whole new perspective on elections and the nation. 

My polling centre was at one of the most  up-town localities of the city. In the entire booth, I could count 6 people, including myself, mum and dad who seemed educated. The entire queue (which was rather long) was of people who were well below poverty line. I was proud of them. Proud of the fact that they exercised their most important right as citizens of the world's biggest democracy. They do not know what difference the next finance minister can make to India's standing in the global economy, but what they do know is who is that one person who can give them the basics of food, clothing, and shelter. They at least made a choice. 

I now think that each and every educated person of this country who has a strong opinion (that is probably 90% of the educated junta!) about economics and politics and state of affairs - has no right to make any negative comment, unless they exercise the right to vote. So far, we only cribbed about how the country lacks good leadership and how the government is always wrong. It is wrong not because we chose the wrong people, but because we never exercised the right to choose! 

Guys, go get that voter's ID card, not because it is the next best thing after your passport, driving license and PAN card - but because it is probably your passport, PAN, and license to creating a better India. Spend a few hours understanding state of affairs and elect the right candidate. 

It is time India boasted of Quality rather than quantity! 

0 comments: