BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Detox - Back on popular demand.

I had a blog few years ago, which I eventually stopped using, since it had become more of an emotional vent than being a blog. On that blog I had posted something on the concept of detox. I detoxicated myself in a self propogated way. It was during the most transformative months of my life and it did help me lift myself up, when I was in pits. A lot of my friends have expressed interest in having the post back. So, here it is copy-pasted. 


Off late I went into a mind body detox. This is how I went about doing it:
Body detox:
zero alcohol and zero tobacco.
Light food. Slightly hungry at any given point in time
.
Mind detox:
This required me to free my mind of all the conditioning that has happened to me in the past so many years. Especially, the conditioning that is not of a conscious nature. I tried to be more open towards criticism, avoid arguments, avoid small talk, distance myself from others and come closer to myself. I had to struggle in the initial days of doing so. What was more important than the struggle itself was the realization that we spend so much time worrying about trivialities. How we place others above ourselves by worrying about what they think about us or do to us. After all how much time in a day do we spend trying to figure our position in the complex matrix of all the people we know in these years we have lived?
Why do we not make best friends of the same intensity than what we had in our school or college days? That is merely owing to the fact that each breathing day we spend here, all we learn is to compare. Again that springs from our Endeavour to filter. Filter the people in our life based on our preferences like as if we were buying a pair of shoes. Eventually we filter the chosen friends in such a way that we accept them only in parts. Where is the friend in totality whom we would accept for the way he or she is?

The other thing that put me to thought was the fact that we spend so much of our life arguing, trying to put our point forth, trying to make the other person believe what we believe in. where is the whole point in debating? I remember I used to take pride in the fact that I would win all the debate competitions that I participated in while I was in school/college. I realized that I was taking pride in the mere fact that I was a bigger fighter than most of the other people, that I could force a panel of judges in believing that I have researched more than my peers have and that I have the art of jabber whereby I can outdo the other person by modulating my tone and voice. Victory would have been when I could convince the other party in debate in accepting my belief and not finishing my point before the bell went off. The wiser thing is to indulge into a discussion or even better a dialogue where we enter with an open mind. We speak so as not to give but to receive, wherein I am not trying to make you buy my beliefs whereas I have come to attain a new perspective by looking at things the way someone else looks at them. And of course give them a new angle. In this process not only do I grow as an individual, I also help someone else. So this is the development of not one individual but many by retaining originality.

After all how important is the validity stamp? How often has ecstasy and euphoria been the effect of a cause involving more than one person other than you yourself?


0 comments: